Saturday, October 3, 2009

Wellness Wednesday - Keep Your E-S-S In Shape.

This is a textual version of components from the September 30 Wellness Wednesday broadcast. The full show is archived for your listening pleasure at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/PeterPocklington

ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE

Thank You to Dr. Chris Grenshaw, who was the chiropracter who save my life when I was six months old and not breathing.

Thank You to Dr. Cynthia Glendenning, who is, co-incidentally the wife of today's guest, Dr. Andrew Gottlieb. She introduced me a decade ago to an understanding of wellness that goes way beyond a simple adjustment of my spinal alignment.

Thank You also to Wellness Warriors everywhere, especially those in the chiropractic field who are addressing the so-called health-care crisis head-on by educating people to stay well and not become consumers of the sickness industry.

Thank You especially, for today's show, to Dr. Andrew Gottlieb, my special guest.

LOOK AFTER YOUR E - S - S

P:Good Morning, Andrew.

A:Good Morning, Peter.

P:Andrew is nineteen years in his practice. He is the co-author of the book "The World's Best Kep Health Secret Revealed". He is an avid runner and cyclist - so he practices what he preaches. And - he is married to another chiropractor, so you might say that he, his wife, and his two children are the ultimate well-adjusted family.

Andrew, as you heard in the introduction, the purpose of this network is to promote people whose work helps others. I know that is true in your practice, and the way of life that you have chosen. Let's start with

What is it you are passionate about?

A:Thank You for that introduction.

There is certainly plenty to be passionate about. In terms of our office work, what my wife and I are so passionate about is - Taking care of families,and improving everybody's health, and having the ability to see patients get well over time. To see people actually get healthier over time instead of people the typical getting sicker and sicker over time.

P:Yes, that is great. The being able to see people over time getting healthier and healthier has got to be very rewarding to you.

A:It is. You hate to see people decay over time. It is so common now to see people just get older and sicker - to see people rot away. To see people more active and more lively, five years, ten years, fifteen years after we've met.

P:OK, I'm living proof to that one. Hey you are speaking now as an experienced wellness warrior - but why did you get into chiropractic in the first place?

A:Well, Many moons ago I was playing college basketball at SUNY College in New York and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. The typical treatment for blood pressure was to put someone on life-time medication. I didn't know anything different, so I said "Sure". Through a friend of mine, who said "hey, you should go see a chiropractor - instead of taking drugs every day for the rest of your life as a nineteen year old college athlete". So I did, I listened to him, and to this day I've never taken any medication for my blood pressure. It hasn't been a problem since I started getting adjusted - about twenty-five or so years ago.

P:Oh wow! So it was, essentially, a case of hearing someone who was not preaching the common thing. Listening to them. And trying it.

A:Yeah! Like anything else, if you do a little research, and try and get to the CAUSE of a problem, instead of just covering up the problem, it tends to work a lot better, with much less side-affects and better, longer lasting results.

P:That's a good tip for our listeners. Look for the cause of a problem, then do a little research for what is not necessarily the norm - though I must say that chiropractic has become a norm in my life because of the help that I've received from it.

In your practice, from the people you see day-to-day, what is it that gives you the most satisfaction?

A:The most satisfaction, of course, comes from seeing people improve their health. Change their lives. We, the people here in the office, use the term that people either "spiral up" or "spiral down".

So, something happens. They get injured or they get sick. So they stop being as active as they want to be, or used to be. So then they start gaining weight, sitting around on the couch so they feel even worse about themselves, so they do even less. You see how that just spirals down and spirals down.

What we enjoy as a team, not just myself bit also my staff, is to see people that come in like that. And then just a few months later they start taking up biking, or walking, and losing weight. Getting off the couch and not watching quite as much TV. Then they start feeling better about themselves and they start doing even more activity. Which makes them feel even better.

To see that spark come back in somebody's eye - it's a great thing to witness.

Can I tell you one quick story though, about someone that reminded me of?

P:Sure, absolutely.

A:We had a gentleman come in. He was the husband of one of our patients and I said "Thanks to your wife for sending you in. Why did you come in?" He didn't have any particular conditions or issues to deal with, but he had noticed after his wife had been adjusted for a little bit how much nicer she was! So he thought, if she can be nicer to me after being adjusted, I want some of that! Right!

So that's the type of stuff that we like to see. How it really changes lives. When you are in pain you don't really feel well. You don't like being around other people, or talking, or being active.

P:Yes. That's very true. If I can get my family to be nicer to me because I'm not being as nice to them as I might be because I am in pain... I could use some of that medicine! Even better, it's not medicine. It just becomes a way of life.

That was a great story, Thank You for that.

A:You're welcome.

P:I actually see that in the practice. The practice is always full of smiling people, and that's a benefit to life any way! You don't see many people smiling nowadays.

That leads me to my next thought. In this minute-rice society, that has got a lot of stress, a lot of pressure on it right now, is there something you are seeing more of, or wish you were seeing less of? What's the situation in today's society? What can people be doing and thinking about now?

A:That's a great question. You know, what we see more of over the past few years is...

I think people are getting more involved with crisis management, which means that part of our education process is taking them out of crisis management. To move them mentally into taking care of themselves for a lifetime. Making wellness a lifestyle and not just, "when I have a health crisis" , "when I have heart disease", "when I have headaches, or pain, or suffering" and do just enough to get over that hump. Right?

We call that crisis management. It's like going to McDonalds and eating fast food. And then you gain all that weight. Then you go on a diet for a few weeks to lose that weight. That doesn't really address the lifestyle problem of going for fast food.

So that's part of our purpose. To help educate patients into a better lifestyle. Not just "hey can you help me get rid of this pain, or this complaint?"

P:OK. So if you wait until something becomes a crisis it's going to take too long to fix it?

A:It takes a lot longer to fix it. Plus - who wants to have that suffering on the way down? You know what I mean? Because it always bothers you for a lot longer than you go to the doctor for. Right? So you can have a problem for five or six months.

I had a young girl in just this morning. She's had a problem for five months and its just been getting worse, and getting worse, and getting worse. Why would you want to suffer for five months before getting it addressed?

P:That's so true. But because we are trained somehow, or pre-programmed, to only wait until we are sick we don't enjoy the benefits of wellness - which is the whole purpose of these Wellness Wednesday segments.

So, in today's society we need to be educated. That's what you guys do so well. Be on the lookout for, and have something addressed - before it becomes a crisis.

Is there some advice you can give to help people have less of a need for your services, perhaps?

A:Sure! Live a healthier lifestyle. Eat well!

In our office, we use the acronym "Get your ESS in shape!" . E - S - S. "Get your ESS in shape!", which is
  • Build Up Your ENDURANCE

  • Build Up Your STRENGTH

  • Build Up Your STRUCTURE


E-S-S. Endurance, Strength and Structure.

The point of that is - these are the three necessary components to health, along with, of course, your nutrition. So, if you want to help take care of yourself, and not go into crisis mode, then go down those and work on:

My nutrition, my food intake. What am I doing for my endurance for my body? What am I doing for my strength?

Old people, when they are lucky enough to live long enough, have good strength, good endurance, and their structure is good. Long before they get old. So you can't wait until you get there.

P: What a great mnemonic that is. I'll have to remember that. Get your ESS in shape! E-S-S. Endurance, Strength and Structure.

Hey, Andrew, how do people reach you?

A:They can reach us here, either by phone - our phone number is 610-458-7777 - or they can contact us through our website at www.eaglechiropractic.net . Those are probably the two best ways to get in touch with us.

P:OK that's office number 610-458-7777 - or they can contact us through our website at www.eaglechiropractic.net

Andrew, I must thank you for the insights, for "Keep your ESS in shape", and, hopefully people will become more educated, keep in contct with you, and learning from you.

And who am I?

I am Peter Pocklington

I am a Good News Merchant
I am a Network Marketing Mentor
I am a purveyor of prosperity, and
I am my own personal guarantee.

Contact me any time. My organization is built to help you help yourself by helping others.

Call 1-800-772-9781 Extension 10 to hear about our mission of servanthood

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Invest in yourself, YOU ARE SO WORTH IT.

GOD BLESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment